PDA

View Full Version : Drill's Ride

Onion Monster
01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
I lost money on this horse today, I'm biased. But why in the hell would you whip this horse from the gate, after a slowish start, into a fast pace when it showed the ability to put in a good late run in its last?

This horse has disappointed before, but I think it has the ability to be a good one turn sprinter when rationed for a stretch run. The connections continue to think otherwise. And they're wrong.

Robert Fischer
01-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Yea. I'm sure Baffert/Garcia wanted Drill to be in the game from the gate, but when he didn't break well, there was no sense in urging him early.

There was the 6 private zone in the race, and he ran his 3rd huge recent race (damascus, malibu, today) - so Drill could have conceivably picked up some pieces for a minor award today with a conservative ride.

Drill didn't particularly run that great today even considering that he wasn't rationed.

2nd best effort was probably the winner #4. Surprising effort. He did have have those four good races last year at Santa Anita.

I couldn't bet this race with Comma to the top adding pressure. Was just cheering for the :6:.

tzipi
01-19-2013, 08:20 PM
They rationed him for a stretch run in the Malibu 2 races ago. But yeah not sure why he rushed up today.