PDA

View Full Version : HALFTIME OUTRAGE (KID ROCK)

delayjf
02-03-2004, 12:04 PM
I know most of the media is making a big deal about Janet Jacksons and Justin Timberlake. And while it was classless and they deserve what they are going to get, I was personally angered by Kid Rock use of the American Flag as a poncho.

If he'd had worn a t- shirt with a flag on it, or simply got on stage and waved a flag, I would've had no problem with his act. But when someone takes a real flag and cuts a whole in the middle of it and wears it as a poncho. As a military member, I take offense. Maybe I'm wrong, but is it against the law to desecrate a flag in that manner or is it consided free speech.

cj
02-03-2004, 12:37 PM
In all fairness, he probably thought he was showing his patriotism. Many civilians have no idea about the proper way to display or handle a United States flag. I'm so used to seeing things like this I'll give him a pass. Like I said, he meant well.

Things like displaying flags at night, or in inclement weather, happen all the time. Just tell the person, he probably doesm't know any better.

GameTheory
02-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah, no one knows the "flag code" or that there even is such a thing. I'm pretty sure flags on t-shirts, flag patches, etc. are all "non-code". Not that we should neccessarily follow the code guidelines, but they're pretty strict...

delayjf
02-03-2004, 01:18 PM
CJ

I considered that and probably you are right, his intent probably was a patiotic one, but someone should point out to him.
Good to hear from you, by chance did you get my last e-mail?? Since you moved not sure I have your correct address.

sq764
02-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Relatively speaking, when you see our flag being burned in the middle of a crowd in the Mideast, watching a US citizen using the flag as a poncho is actually refreshing.

delayjf
02-03-2004, 03:29 PM
SQ764
Good point, while were on the subject of flag burning. I have to wonder about the logic of the supreme court that allows the burning of our flag, which pisses me and I dare say others off, but outlaws the burning of a cross. I think they should both be banned.

sq764
02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
You can deface the country, but not the church.. Interesting decision.

I must say that I haven't seen many priests and nuns on the frontline in Iraq.. But who am I to judge the Supreme Court..

Tom
02-03-2004, 06:31 PM
The cross thing is aimed at preventing racial imtidation.
When it comes to race, the court can't wait to lie done and roll over. Hate crimes are a joke. Isit worse to kill someobne at random or someone you hate? I would brather be killed by someone who hates me-at least it would make some sense.
As for Kid Rock, to his credit, he never allowed the flag to touch the ground, which is not the case with billionaire bonehead Vine McMahon and his WWE -they disgrace the flag on a regular basis and is never called out on it.

JustRalph
02-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by delayjf
SQ764
Good point, while were on the subject of flag burning. I have to wonder about the logic of the supreme court that allows the burning of our flag, which pisses me and I dare say others off, but outlaws the burning of a cross. I think they should both be banned.

you can burn a cross all day long as long as you don't use it as a tool in a hate crime. Build your own cross.....take it out on your own property and burn it all day long if you want. You burn it in someone elses yard or as an act of committing a crime and now you have broken the law......

sq764
02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I believe that now burning of a cross CAN be considered a terrorist act. I cannot remember where I saw the article.. Now that's some shit..

Tom
02-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
you can burn a cross all day long as long as you don't use it as a tool in a hate crime. Build your own cross.....take it out on your own property and burn it all day long if you want. You burn it in someone elses yard or as an act of committing a crime and now you have broken the law......
If I burnt my garbage on my neighbor's lawn I would be breaking the law. The cross stuff is stupid.

kenwoodallpromos
02-03-2004, 11:06 PM
The boy scout and some vet orgs have flag codes. Fine if the flag was designed as part of clothing, but not if designed to be displayed or flown like that one was. Burning is the proper was to dispose of a soiled flag, so burning makes it just a piece of cloth, no big deal! U.S. Code book says a legal flag is the stars and stripes, that's all. A fringe is allowed by Pres. Ike 1954 for army and navy only.

delayjf
02-04-2004, 03:16 PM
JustRalph,

I maybe wrong on this, but are you sure that you can burn a cross in your own yard. I seem to recall some KKK members being charged for burning a cross at one of their meetings, which was on private property.

JustRalph
02-04-2004, 09:26 PM
JustRalph, I maybe wrong on this, but are you sure that you can burn a cross in your own yard. I seem to recall some KKK members being charged for burning a cross at one of their meetings, which was on private property.

there might be some local law against burning......but the fact that it is a cross would not be why they were charged. the burning itself might be against the law (no matter what they are burning) KKK members in Southern Ohio and West Virginia do it all the time on their own property. take my word for it. I have some cop friends that have to deal with the complaints. Sometimes the wingnuts get a permit from the local fire department so they don't get a ticket from the fire marshall. But the cross is no different than burning a Triangle......it is the venue and the location (they are different, in case you are wondering) that make the cross illegal to burn.

Check out these links from a while back:

The first link below illustrates the "Venue" or location and the presence of others that can be intimidated etc....as an example of what makes the cross burning a crime.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=7919&SearchString=kkk

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/10/11/loc_kkk_seeks_permit_for.html

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=11779

Derek2U
02-04-2004, 09:47 PM
OMG dont say any1 would b that bored /// its a crapsymbol so
i say NO WAY

cj
02-05-2004, 05:53 AM
CJ

I considered that and probably you are right, his intent probably was a patiotic one, but someone should point out to him.
Good to hear from you, by chance did you get my last e-mail?? Since you moved not sure I have your correct address.

I probably didn't get it, as we have had our web based email shut down here due to the myDoom worm. I can be reached at craig5567@gimail.af.mil , and I will use that address for the next three years. Please re-send.

I had been conversing with several guys from here, please don't think I forgot, I just have no way of doing anything at the moment. I finally move into a house tomorrow, and should be all set up with my home computer network by Saturday afternoon. I'll catch up with everyone by then.

Figman
02-11-2004, 11:59 PM
This is unbelievable! Mel Karmazin the President & COO of Viacom testified before a House Committee today that he had all the performers "under contract" for the Super Bowl halftime show. When asked if there was a clause in their contracts whereby the performer could be fined or censured for improper behaviour, this so-called top executive, Karmazin, stated that the contracts are never enforcable as it is general policy that the contract is never signed. The incredulous Congressman said "Never signed?" And Karmazin said that is the regular policy.....we might have to look at that policy again! What a buffoon!

Derek2U
02-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Face it many u guys here are still REplayin her right tittY. Dont
lie now cause it wont pass. personally she looks 2 much like her
brother 2 interest me but i like that armor & 4 whatwith gurly
justin what a laff .... its a pure mockery hey if i was showin my
stuff them nielsens would BE ~~190 million USA but ~ 4 Trillion
world-eyed. i dunno why is it? my great nature?...he i doubt it.

kenwoodallpromos
02-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Wasn't that you in the jock strap? I though that's why the NFL cameramen were zooming in on him! / Actually, I missed the live 37 yr old a-cup. I was watching a PG14 show at the time- the GGF horserace replay show!!PG because they show the payoffs- gambling-, but young men ripping clothes off a woman and mooning strakers get a G rating!