PDA

View Full Version : Mandate Plus

elysiantraveller
01-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Obama Care doesn't have enough enforcement to actually work...? No Way!

Mandate Plus (http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/obamacare-mandate-may-be-mandate-plus-86115.html?hp=f1)

johnhannibalsmith
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
“The key really is, how do you get younger people to buy coverage?” said Justine Handelman, vice president for legislative and regulatory policy at the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.

Hey F you lady. Try extortion, it's legal.

Tom
01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
“The key really is, how do you get younger people to buy coverage?”

Why should they?Insurance is a gamble,and they should have the option of not playing.

Dave Schwartz
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
In a perfect world, insurance is nothing but a pooling of common resources to insure against catastrophe. (Funny Note: I never realized that "catastrophy" is not spelled with a "y.")

Actually a great idea.

In theory, everyone pays into a plan, the administrators take a reasonable rake off the top for expenses and profit, and everyone does just fine.

However, as it is practiced now, the insurance companies want to separate the sick from the well, which defeats the entire purpose of the concept.

If it weren't for the powers that be serving corporate America, we could address the real problem, which is spiralling health cost, not spiralling insurance cost.

This is why a comparison between Obamacare and socialized medicine are invalid. We are not moving towards socialized medicine but rather, socialized insurance.

In the end, Obamacare will not work to help the individual American. However, the insurance companies (with their ultimately increased business) will, as will corporate America (who will be able to stop offering coverage and just pay the tax).

TJDave
01-14-2013, 04:42 PM
In a perfect world, insurance is nothing but a pooling of common resources to insure against catastrophe.

With regard to health insurance there is a slight problem. The catastrophe always comes.

JustRalph
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I spent 20 min trying to convince 2 twenty something females to buy health insurance during the "open enrollment" period in October. These gals work for my wife. We went over several scenarios etc. Both declined.

They told me that paying over 300 bucks a month was too much for them (they both are wait staff that make well over 2k a month clear, more like 3k) and they would rather put the money elsewhere. Their response to catastrophic illness or a serious accident was "we can always file bankruptcy" they didn't care in the least.

elysiantraveller
01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I spent 20 min trying to convince 2 twenty something females to buy health insurance during the "open enrollment" period in October. These gals work for my wife. We went over several scenarios etc. Both declined.

They told me that paying over 300 bucks a month was too much for them (they both are wait staff that make well over 2k a month clear, more like 3k) and they would rather put the money elsewhere. Their response to catastrophic illness or a serious accident was "we can always file bankruptcy" they didn't care in the least.

No Ralph. When they get sick then they get the insurance. That's the joke of this legislation.

TJDave
01-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Their response to catastrophic illness or a serious accident was "we can always file bankruptcy" they didn't care in the least.

If there are options, especially ones that don't cost money, why would anyone buy insurance? ;)

Dave Schwartz
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
With regard to health insurance there is a slight problem. The catastrophe always comes.

Agreed. The question is "When?"

TJDave
01-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Agreed. The question is "When?"

We are talking about the ultimate catastrophe, right?

Typically, the later it comes the more it costs.

When treated as a disease, death is prohibitively costly.

Dave Schwartz
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
No we aren't. AT least I am not.

I am talking about the ones that come before THAT one; the ones you MIGHT live through.