PDA

View Full Version : Question on gun control

so.cal.fan
01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Why doesn't the Government follow through with investigations on these permit questionaires required to be filled out when applying for a gun permit?

I heard a report that a shocking percentage of the answers to questions on these reports are never investigated....people LIE on these permits. While most citizens who own guns are legitimate, not all are, and seems they could be uncovered by proper work by the government.

In defense of the gun rights side....shouldn't the government be pursuing this issue?

Seems it would surely help?

Tom
01-14-2013, 11:45 AM
The government is not concerned with results, just personal gains of it's members.

People do not count with governments.
Any government, anywhere.

Tom
01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Bear in mind, a debate of this magnitude opens the flood gates for bribes for both houses of congress - the only true bi-partisianship there is.

hcap
01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Do they get free Tvs and ObamaPones too?
Hope there is enough Tvs left over.

Don't wanna miss Big Bird.

Tom
01-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Even YOU must know what a lobbyist is?

NJ Stinks
01-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Why doesn't the Government follow through with investigations on these permit questionaires required to be filled out when applying for a gun permit?

I heard a report that a shocking percentage of the answers to questions on these reports are never investigated....people LIE on these permits. While most citizens who own guns are legitimate, not all are, and seems they could be uncovered by proper work by the government.

In defense of the gun rights side....shouldn't the government be pursuing this issue?

Seems it would surely help?

My guess is because Republicans don't want to pay for government employees that need to be hired to perform the background checks. If all you live for is a smailler government and tax cuts, there is no money for personnel to adequately investigate gun permit questionaires.

You get what you pay for.

so.cal.fan
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
OR:
Democrats and Republicans want to use our money for more important things, like satisfying the lobbyists and big campaign donation pals.

johnhannibalsmith
01-14-2013, 01:32 PM
I just assumed all the background check aspect was actually designed to do was head off impulse murders and creating a clear paper trail for would-be criminals to be leery of. Preventative and not remedial. I figured it to just be a well placed roadblock that wasn't designed to have a lot of benefit after the transaction.

Robert Goren
01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
OR:
Democrats and Republicans want to use our money for more important things, like satisfying the lobbyists and big campaign donation pals. And the NRA is one of the biggest of those lobbyists. Nobody on the other side is in their league.

Actor
01-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Why doesn't the Government follow through with investigations on these permit questionnaires required to be filled out when applying for a gun permit?

Seems it would surely help?I'm relying on my memory of news stories from when the background checks were first mandated so I could have this all wrong, but this is my understanding.

When Congress passed the background check law they provided no funding to implement it. Instead they placed a mandate on the states who, in turn, often expected local law enforcement to implement it within their existing budgets.

There has never been a national database supporting background checks, making it nearly impossible to verify data on questionnaires.

Tom
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Good for them.
Someone has to stand up for our rights.

Tom
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
There has never been a national database supporting background checks, making it nearly impossible to verify data on questionnaires.

So the blame lies with the inept Feds and the mentally deficient.
Not that there is much difference, other than there is hope for the mentally deficient. :rolleyes:

Actor
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
I wonder what the penalty for lying on the questionnaire is? I would not be surprised to learn that there is none. Nor would it surprise me to learn that once you obtain a firearm by lying that the government is powerless to take it away. But it can't be that bad.

Can it? :confused:

so.cal.fan
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Whatever you guys, but it seems if they started following thru with checks on these applications, it would do more good than any amount of $$$ it would cost?
It's a step they should be pushing. The pro-2nd Amendment people should demand it!

Tom
01-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Let the Senate take care of all the permits.
They don't vote on anything anymore, and have not spent any time on a budget in 4+ years.

I suggest the Senate has a whole lot of time on their hands - make the slugs earn their salaries.

elysiantraveller
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM

Don't know.

I bought two guns last year. The first time was no big deal went in filled out the paperwork, background check, and was back out in 40 minutes. Seemed normal. The second time did everything the same and the background check spit out a "wait" response. I don't know if someone was or wasn't there to look at it (It was late), if my info got plugged in wrong, or something else tripped it up... Either way I went home, got a call the next day, and was told I could go pick it up.

Moral of the story... when you fill out a background check they ARE doing something...

JustRalph
01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Whatever you guys, but it seems if they started following thru with checks on these applications, it would do more good than any amount of $$$ it would cost?
It's a step they should be pushing. The pro-2nd Amendment people should demand it!

for the same reason they don't follow up on DMV forms, Welfare applications, and tons of other stuff. There is no way you could keep up.

It's a paperwork trail for later. That's it.