PDA

View Full Version : Calistoga

Beachbabe
01-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Mott doesn't win many with first-timers; so it's even a more impressive debut by this 3 yr old daughter of Speightstown. Won under a hand ride by open lengths in 1:09.3 & crushed the odds-on Chad Brown filly.

magwell
01-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Mott doesn't win many with first-timers; so it's even a more impressive debut by this 3 yr old daughter of Speightstown. Won under a hand ride by open lengths in 1:09.3 & crushed the odds-on Chad Brown filly. Yep, and she looked the part up close......:cool:

turninforhome10
01-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Yep, and she looked the part up close......:cool:
All I can say is that I hope this horse can get PA excited about a three year old.
See Pedigree
http://www.pedigreequery.com/calistoga7
Maybe Holy Bull is gonna be a broodmare sire.

lamboguy
01-13-2013, 02:11 AM
i was very lucky in that race today, the horse that i bet got scratched at the gate, i could have never beaten this future star.

redshift1
01-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Speightstown known as a sprinter, what can we expect from Calistoga distance wise?

turninforhome10
01-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Speightstown known as a sprinter, what can we expect from Calistoga distance wise?

Answer these questions.
What does Stop The Music say about distance?
What does Tyrant tell you?
The line goes back to Fair Trial which was a top stallion and not an easy ticket.
While the DI is shorter it is due to the lack of Chefs. When you go back the dams get longer.
The cross of Speightstown and Holy Bull created Munnings, who was a sprinter.
I did not see the filly to assess he body type. Does she look to have scope or a blocky body? For me just based on pedigree, I would be thinking one turn miler.

Robert Fischer
01-13-2013, 09:43 AM
she's a physical specimen

Robert Fischer
01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
^ haven't studied her or the race again, but I remember seeing them load into the gate and saying "3 is a monster". Also maybe the 2 and 4 were small, but her hindquarters were bigger and taller. And then she looked good and had a nice stride in the stretch.

I'd be surprised if she can't get a mile vs/ fillies if she keeps moving forward. That's about all i can guess for now.

NTamm1215
01-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Calistoga's dam is a full to Giacomo and half to Tiago. There's plenty of distance in the pedigree.

BIG49010
01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
A recent Bloodhorse article talks about how Speightstown is getting all kinds for runners both long, short and turf.

turninforhome10
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Calistoga's dam is a full to Giacomo and half to Tiago. There's plenty of distance in the pedigree.
If you follow the line back by breeders these have been what I call protected lines. You had to have money as the best of the best have developed them.
The Mosses look to have went overseas and found a mare line held in high by
Comte Roland de Chambure a top french breeder and Royal. From that back you have the very expensive and combo starting with Polymelus ( Sire line of 70% of all sires in our modern age). Then Blandford (top sire and found in all modern pedigrees 5 to 8 times). Then Fair Trial. To follow that trail would have taken great means.
This is a very nice line. I think the difference between her and her other great relatives is she has been bred to speedy type that could also lend itself to outcrossing. Look at Speightown and follow his female tail. Buckpasser, Chieftain, Storm Cat and an inbreeding to Secretariat. Not to mention he also hails from the female family of Hildene.
The filly is the result of two lines that have been protected from the commercial market.