PDA

View Full Version : Hand Held Calculator (Computerized Performance Rating)

Sparky13
01-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I recently purchased through EBay an old hand held calculator for rating horses. The name of the program on the calculator is Computerized Performance Rating. I have used it for rating about 1900 races and have had some success with it. It looks like the copyright date on the calculator is 1978. The only instructions that came with the calculator is on the back side. The directions are pretty simple and I actually use another calculator to do the ratings. Listed as "Optional Correction Factors" are a couple of conditions for which I have a question I thought the experts on this forum may help me with. There is deduction or an addition to the rating number when a horse is at (their words) Larger Track now at small track, or Small Track now at Large Track. I am pretty confident in making a determination such as Beulah Park to Gulfstream Park, but what about Oakland Park to lets say Hawthorne, or Tampa Bay. Is there a place on the internet that would rate the tracks in some kind of form to determine "large track to small track". I know DRF has their list of all tracks and their purse values for a certain period of time. Would that be a good starting point for this process? Any help would be appreciated!!!

DJofSD
01-11-2013, 12:08 PM
If I get it correctly, there is a way for you to make adjusts to the performance rating based upon the rating of the two tracks involved: today's and the prior race's track.

Look at what others have done in the past to create track based pars. Generally, you start with the bottom most claimers and go up the class ladder computing the pars for each level then noting the differences. But instead of class level pars, you are doing it for the different tracks. I think it was in one of Beyer's books where the method was discussed.

traynor
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
It would be easier if you specified what goes in. That makes knowing what should come out more clear. For example, are you entering times, fractional times, earnings information, jockey information, trainer information, or something else entirely?

DJofSD
01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
The specialized calculator reminds me of the Ziemba/Hausch book "Dr. Z's Beat the Race Track" where their method was captured in a specialized chip/calculator.

I programmed a couple of different HP calculators with the formulae and used it at satellite wagering for the home track races. The home track races would have tote information displayed on a moderately sized LED tote board in the front of the room. I'd get there early to get a good seat in front of the electronic tote so I could find the overlays in the minor pools. It worked for a while but then those overlays started to disappear and the value of the method evaporated.

grahors
01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Go to American Turf Monthly web site. Go to track equalization chart I believe they give track classes on the left side. Hope it helps.
Cecil

Gold9er
01-12-2013, 11:36 PM
you can use beyer pars to figure the difference of the same class levels of different tracks.

jasperson
01-13-2013, 07:46 AM
The specialized calculator reminds me of the Ziemba/Hausch book "Dr. Z's Beat the Race Track" where their method was captured in a specialized chip/calculator.

I programmed a couple of different HP calculators with the formulae and used it at satellite wagering for the home track races. The home track races would have tote information displayed on a moderately sized LED tote board in the front of the room. I'd get there early to get a good seat in front of the electronic tote so I could find the overlays in the minor pools. It worked for a while but then those overlays started to disappear and the value of the method evaporated.

I did the same thing. I still have my TI-95 that I used.
Jack

Capper Al
01-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I did the same thing. I still have my TI-95 that I used.
Jack

I had a TI-95. Used it for Harness in the 80's or 90's.

Sparky13
01-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Go to American Turf Monthly web site. Go to track equalization chart I believe they give track classes on the left side. Hope it helps.
Cecil
Thanks for your help. That looks like what I am looking for to use with my hand held calculator.

mikeb
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM

It worked for a while but then those overlays started to disappear and the value of the method evaporated.[/

that was most likely after simulcasting took place,the late money dumped in from the simulcast pools made it inacurate.........imho the only way to get around that is to take your readings at the 5 minute mark.

DJofSD
01-14-2013, 08:56 AM
That's what I did, take the readings at 5 minutes which gave me enough time to fat finger into the calculator the dollar amounts in order find the overlay/overlays then get in line to make my bets.

But, the expected pay offs where declining nonetheless. Expecting to get a show pay off more than $3.00 and ending up with $2.80 more and more often was cause enough to abandon the approach.

acorn54
01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
That's what I did, take the readings at 5 minutes which gave me enough time to fat finger into the calculator the dollar amounts in order find the overlay/overlays then get in line to make my bets.

But, the expected pay offs where declining nonetheless. Expecting to get a show pay off more than $3.00 and ending up with $2.80 more and more often was cause enough to abandon the approach.

well with the publication of their book the parimutuel fact of life took over