PDA

View Full Version : The Sad Story of Backstreet Bully

classhandicapper
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I stumbled onto this on Facebook. I don't have any information other than what's in the article, but this is pretty messed up if true. It's wrong on so many levels it disgusts me.

http://shedrowconfessions.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/a-sickening-end/

nijinski
01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Julie Krone reposted it and that's where I found it . It's disgusting and they need to be exposed and shut down .
Adena Springs and Ms Lovell tried to stop it and Adena should send his medical records that they faxed to this creep to the news . Since he marked this poor horse for consumption . Really !
So pissed , disgusted and sad about this . :(

turninforhome10
01-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I remember one time driving through the back part of Lebanon PA. This route is often frequented by trucks coming from New Holland going to Canada. I ended up behind a double tiered cattle truck. I looked up and saw a gorgeous palomino looking down from the top tier (which is illegal) and actually started to get weepy knowing this guys fate. I called the State Patrol but who knows what happened. He looked so proud but you could see the pain in his eyes. He knew. People suck. I fear for all those Canadian thoroughbreds that face the same fate if their market bottoms out.

Sysonby
01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I didn't see the name of the slaughterhouse in the story, or did I miss it? This is the kind of case where you want to get every regulatory authority down on them like a ton of bricks as well as inundating the owner with e-mails and letters. The company and the individuals behind that company that own this slaughterhouse should be shamed publicly.

nijinski
01-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I didn't see the name of the slaughterhouse in the story, or did I miss it? This is the kind of case where you want to get every regulatory authority down on them like a ton of bricks as well as inundating the owner with e-mails and letters. The company and the individuals behind that company that own this slaughterhouse should be shamed publicly.
He went from the Olux Auction to the LesViandes de la Petite Nation slaughter plant , Canada .
Many from rescue organizations have to keep the peace with the Auction lots or they may not be able to get the access they have to do the fine work they do .
Unfortunately they can't save them all .

JustRalph
01-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Has Frank Stronach made a statement?

Probably a 1000 more of these stories a year.

Robert Goren
01-12-2013, 12:02 AM
It is a sad story, but it does not address the problem. A TB has a limited time as a race horse and 12-20 years of life expectancy after races. That means there would be 3 or 4 times more retired race horses than there are active ones if none were slaughtered and that doesn't count all TBs that never race. I have no clue what the answer is, but I know there isn't that many uses for retired horses and they are very expensive to keep. Maybe as the number of race tracks continue shrink, there will fewer race horses bred and there will be fewer that have find a home after the 2-4 years of racing that is all they can be expected to race.
I also know that the number of people who are willing pay the bills are few and far between. Sending $10 a year to a farm for retired to ease your conscience isn't really helping much either. No bettor want to increase the already too high takeout to keep them. No owner wants give up a piece of the purse either because most of them are losing money. This is yet another problem in a long list of problems that horse racing faces today.

tucker6
01-12-2013, 03:57 PM
It is a sad story, but it does not address the problem. A TB has a limited time as a race horse and 12-20 years of life expectancy after races. That means there would be 3 or 4 times more retired race horses than there are active ones if none were slaughtered and that doesn't count all TBs that never race. I have no clue what the answer is, but I know there isn't that many uses for retired horses and they are very expensive to keep. Maybe as the number of race tracks continue shrink, there will fewer race horses bred and there will be fewer that have find a home after the 2-4 years of racing that is all they can be expected to race.
I also know that the number of people who are willing pay the bills are few and far between. Sending $10 a year to a farm for retired to ease your conscience isn't really helping much either. No bettor want to increase the already too high takeout to keep them. No owner wants give up a piece of the purse either because most of them are losing money. This is yet another problem in a long list of problems that horse racing faces today.
Isn't euthanesia a better solution than a slaughterhouse. One could be considered compassionate to a point. The other is one final act of greed.

Robert Goren
01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Dead is dead!

tucker6
01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Dead is dead!
I've always considered you smarter than that. It isn't always about the ending, but sometimes about the means. It's attitudes like the one you express above that is killing the sport. The vast majority of the non-betting, but voting, public does not support your view that dead is dead. They look at it as one final abuse of an animal that spent its entire life running on a track for a gambling sport. The least that can be done is make it a little more merciful for appearances sake alone. Don't do it for yourself, but for the people that want to put you and your sport out of business.

Robert Goren
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
I've always considered you smarter than that. It isn't always about the ending, but sometimes about the means. It's attitudes like the one you express above that is killing the sport. The vast majority of the non-betting, but voting, public does not support your view that dead is dead. They look at it as one final abuse of an animal that spent its entire life running on a track for a gambling sport. The least that can be done is make it a little more merciful for appearances sake alone. Don't do it for yourself, but for the people that want to put you and your sport out of business. If think the general public doesn' t support the slaughtering for meat (and they don't), try floating the euthanesia idea. I think the outcry would be even louder, a lot louder. What makes you think euthanesia is more humane than the slaughter. Just give them a shot and bulldoze them in a mass grave. I seen cattle killed that way when there was a disease involved. There was nothing humane about it and I have been to cattle slaughter house. There ain't two cent worth of difference. Stop kidding yourself. Dead before their time is still dead even if there is fancy word for it.
You like the guy who takes their pet to vet to be put sleep and disapears before the deed is done. You don't want to do your duty. My grandfather had several fine words for people like that. If I repeated them here, I probably get banned.

5k-claim
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
I've always considered you smarter than that. Based on what?

tucker6
01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Based on what?

Just a friendly way to start a discussion, that's all. I meant no offense. :D

tucker6
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
If think the general public doesn' t support the slaughtering for meat (and they don't), try floating the euthanesia idea. I think the outcry would be even louder, a lot louder. What makes you think euthanesia is more humane than the slaughter. Just give them a shot and bulldoze them in a mass grave. I seen cattle killed that way when there was a disease involved. There was nothing humane about it and I have been to cattle slaughter house. There ain't two cent worth of difference. Stop kidding yourself. Dead before their time is still dead even if there is fancy word for it.
You like the guy who takes their pet to vet to be put sleep and disapears before the deed is done. You don't want to do your duty. My grandfather had several fine words for people like that. If I repeated them here, I probably get banned.
Actually, euthanesia is accepted by the public as a humane way to kill an animal that can no longer be cared for in an appropriate manner. I'd say you're out of touch with reality and your cattle/Mad Cow analogy has no context within this discussion. Apples and oranges.

5k-claim
01-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Just a friendly way to start a discussion, that's all. I meant no offense. :D You did not offend anyone... I was seriously asking what made you consider 'Robert Goren' to be "smarter than that".

Is your futile exchange with him not tipping you off to anything?

Linny
01-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Dead is dead!

The issue is the abuse and suffering of the animals from auction, to shipping etc. If there were a slaughterhouse in every county and a horse could be brought there and dispatched, it would be one thing. In many cases animals that are already infirm are shipped thousands of miles, terrified, often bitten and kicked, starved etc. THAT is the outrage.