PDA

View Full Version : Bama vs Notre Dame

PhantomOnTour
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Well...at least Notre Dame has crossed midfield
:lol:

all i wanted this whole bowl season was a well played close game in a major bowl :(

elysiantraveller
01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Well...at least Notre Dame has crossed midfield

all i wanted this whole bowl season was a well played close game in a major bowl :(

Outback? Rose Bowl?

camourous
01-07-2013, 09:58 PM
The teams Notre Dame beat got outscored by 122 points in the bowl games this year, just shows how bad their "killer" schedule was..

horses4courses
01-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Men against boys

JustRalph
01-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Saw this tweet.

It's the Bandy-Legged Potato-Eating Alcoholics vs the Inbred Trailer Park Repo Men!

pktruckdriver
01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
SEC RULES !!

Dave Schwartz
01-07-2013, 11:56 PM
LOL - We went to watch the game at a local sports bar. The manager asked me who I liked. My response was "A lot of Catholics lose money tonight."

elysiantraveller
01-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Imagine if Ohio State had been bowl eligible?.... :faint:

College Football needs a real playoff... and hopefully... the NCAA will finally get after the SEC for their unfair recruiting practices...

Striker
01-08-2013, 12:31 AM

College Football needs a real playoff... and hopefully... the NCAA will finally get after the SEC for their unfair recruiting practices...
The playoff system starts in 2014 I believe.

JustRalph
01-08-2013, 01:12 AM

Not sure anybody could have played with Bama tonight

elysiantraveller
01-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Not sure anybody could have played with Bama tonight

If Ohio State had been bowl eligible Alabama wouldn't have been playing tonight.

JustRalph
01-08-2013, 02:07 AM
If Ohio State had been bowl eligible Alabama wouldn't have been playing tonight.

Point taken

RXB
01-08-2013, 02:23 AM

And Notre Dame would be favoured by probably about 7 points if they played Ohio State.

College football is like horse racing; too much emphasis on wins/losses and not enough importance placed on quality of competition. Losing just one game in the SEC is a greater accomplishment than going undefeated in any other conference.

A lot of people complained last year about Alabama getting into the title game but it was the right call and the SEC's total dominance has just been re-emphasized again this year. Seven championships in a row.

rastajenk
01-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Not having anything at stake in this one, I only wanted a game that could keep me up past halftime. A couple minutes into the second quarter, I cashed out. It was like rubbernecking at a crash site: most unseemly. :ThmbDown:

pktruckdriver
01-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Sounds like a sore loser, get over it , SEC rules, ask Ohio State about Florida Gaators, we beat twice in 1 year bboth basketball and football, yeah !!

elysiantraveller
01-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a sore loser, get over it , SEC rules.

Not a sore loser at all. I wanted Alabama last night and last year I wanted the all-SEC rematch. The problem is 7 years straight is very boring.

The SEC already enjoys a bunch of natural recruiting advantages. The south is a preferable place for players to go, they have richer local recruiting grounds, and they across the board have lower academic standards than most of the other major conferences. The problem I have is with all these advantages they are still allowed to gray-shirt which is unethical and completely unfair and should be stopped...

cj
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Not a sore loser at all. I wanted Alabama last night and last year I wanted the all-SEC rematch. The problem is 7 years straight is very boring.

The SEC already enjoys a bunch of natural recruiting advantages. The south is a preferable place for players to go, they have richer local recruiting grounds, and they across the board have lower academic standards than most of the other major conferences. The problem I have is with all these advantages they are still allowed to gray-shirt which is unethical and completely unfair and should be stopped...

I don't think they are the only ones doing the grey shirt thing, are they?

The lower standards is a big advantage that nobody wants to talk about.

pktruckdriver
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
I stand corrected, grey shirt, as CJ stated is not only done in thee south, is it? As for lower standards, who are we compared to, Ivy League, Pac 12, Big 12, ACC, Ohio state , like Miami both bowl banned themselves hoping for leniency in upcoming sanctions, and what makes them any different than most schools is they got caught, OK, Nebraska, USC, all do whatever they can to be where there are or was . Cars , jobs and housing for parents, etc..., and then they get caught being given a pair of shoes, or selling t-shirts and other memorbilla, but the SEC is no more gulity than any other conference, even Ivy league in the hockey programs, God forbid what they do about B-Ball Players, if they really looked into the top 25 schools with a TRUE FINE TOOTH COMB, most would be guilty of ....

I am southern born and , hopefully bred, and love the SEC, as well FSU and Miami, the city of my birth. Yet so many more people live up north and northeast, yet the best players you say come form the south, how bout them corn fed boys from the midwest, or the Texan's who think football is the state religion ?

Okay I could go on, but must run, but I apoligize for how my previous post may have be taken, I am sorry.

anotherCAfan
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
what makes them any different than most schools is they got caught, OK, Nebraska, USC, all do whatever they can to be where there are or was . Cars , jobs and housing for parents, etc...
I personally am bitter about how USC basically has the death penalty, while all the other schools are either (a) not being caught or (b) getting slaps on the wrist.

Small consolation for me that the SEC whipped ND.

pktruckdriver
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
This may sound crazy, because full tution and room and board for players on scholarships, is a lot of money, but it does not give the players pocket money, which for players like these are doing whaty ever they can to have it.

Why not pay them a small stipend to help, not eliminate, this issue? 500-1500 a month, maybe depending on if they make a BCS Bowl or not, which gives each team , what is it 14 million per team, eenough to pay a few players.

Just a thought, and for how the NCCA deals with each team has alot to do with how they deal with the investigators. Stall and deny, and then try to deal when no way out is in sight or admit and beg for mercy by doing what some do, start sanctioning themselves, this should be obvious why some get slapped and others get death penalties, as you say. My opinion.

patrick

cj
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
This may sound crazy, because full tution and room and board for players on scholarships, is a lot of money, but it does not give the players pocket money, which for players like these are doing whaty ever they can to have it.

As someone with one finished, one halfway done, and another to go, it is very expensive. It should be enough if you ask me.

pktruckdriver
01-08-2013, 03:19 PM
As someone with one finished, one halfway done, and another to go, it is very expensive. It should be enough if you ask me.

Even you say, SHOULD BE, BUT IS IT ? Without a scholarship it is very expensive to go to a 4 year school, and yet many find ways to do it, the athlete's with talent are rare and when found are like a horse at the OTB sale, the highest bidder gets him/her. How do you outbid the other school, what can you offer that they do not, supposedly nothing, yet this is not true, ask any true recruit being touted by big schools, things I will not write here but we know are on the table, or under it as most say.

If I was a lineman wishing to go to the NFL, where would I want to go to school, the desire of the kid is hardly ever in play here, as is the point of the 2 out of 3 Florida schools you would think are great places to go.

You think Florida and think warm all year and beaches , yet Florida is located in a swamp areaa and FSU is also not located near any beaches, but then Miami is , or close enough, Coral Gables is a very nice area to attend school, yet they are currently under NCAA scrutiny and will be hard to recruit, if you wish to go to the NFL, for awhile.

But then you have small time schools where a kid can go to get free education and never expect to go into the NFL and he needs only help with school costs, this makes it great for him and normally these schools are not in the title hunt and barely cause the truoble bigtime schools do. Just look at the Mid-American schools, not your bigtime schools, yet plenty of football scholarships there, so..

what was I saying...paying players may only need to be doen to those players who are sought after, and doing so will keep them from making stupid mistakes, since apparently little supervission is in place to prevent it.

patrick

rastajenk
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I think your logic is totally flawed.

delayjf
01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
OK, Nebraska, USC, all do whatever they can to be where there are or was . Cars , jobs and housing for parents, etc..., and then they get

For the record, Nebraska has never been sanctioned for recruiting violations like USC and OU.

Rookies
01-08-2013, 11:09 PM

Why not pay them a small stipend to help, not eliminate, this issue? 500-1500 a month, maybe depending on if they make a BCS Bowl or not, which gives each team , what is it 14 million per team, eenough to pay a few players.

Just a thought, and for how the NCCA deals with each team has alot to do with how they deal with the investigators. Stall and deny, and then try to deal when no way out is in sight or admit and beg for mercy by doing what some do, start sanctioning themselves, this should be obvious why some get slapped and others get death penalties, as you say. My opinion.

patrick

Patrick, I thought of this idea a generation ago. Let's face it, Division 1 Football = Triple A Baseball = C(anadian) (H)ockey (L)eague. They are the feeders for the Pros, with the exception that a "formal education", is a significant component of the former.

Who cares? Get on with it and pay these athletes a stipend like they do in the other two.

Bettowin
01-09-2013, 01:16 AM
Nebraska players used to take a pay cut to go to the NFL:)

Seriously, If K-State doesn't lose to Baylor the championship would have been them and ND. Now that its over neither one should be in the top 7 or 8.

RXB
01-09-2013, 01:48 AM
Patrick, I thought of this idea a generation ago. Let's face it, Division 1 Football = Triple A Baseball = C(anadian) (H)ockey (L)eague. They are the feeders for the Pros, with the exception that a "formal education", is a significant component of the former.

Who cares? Get on with it and pay these athletes a stipend like they do in the other two.

It's kind of crazy that someone who just wants to play football should have to go to university in the first place. A lot of what goes on in order to field a winning football program makes a mockery of the educational ideal.

But a full scholarship is worth a lot of money; e.g., a full ride at Stanford is worth $50,000+/year.

Valuist
01-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I guess before Huffington Post wrote an article on them just before Xmas, Katherine Webb had under 200 Twitter followers. Now after last Monday, she has over 262,000. AJ Mccarron has 144,000. The real winner Monday night wasn't Alabama. It was Katherine Webb.