PDA

View Full Version : Any Fishermen Here?

badcompany
01-07-2013, 12:35 AM
I plan on getting back into fishing this Spring and Summer, mainly Bass and possibly Trout and Salmon.

What do you think of this rod and reel setup.

The reel, Shimano Stradic SJ is about $200; the rod, St. Croix Premiere, $100:

http://www.islanddiscounttackle.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/PremierSpinTravelRod-550x550.jpg

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/prodimg/SHIST2500FJ.jpg

plainolebill
01-07-2013, 01:46 AM
MwSAoD9fytc

badcompany
01-07-2013, 09:18 AM
MwSAoD9fytc

That's some whiny fishing.

maddog42
01-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I like shimano, but a rod that is made in the US that I like a lot is Falcon. Most good Falcon Rods are $140 or less. I have 4 of them. When I broke one (my fault) I sent it back to them in Tulsa and they replaced it with a newer and better model for shipping cost only. Basically you are getting a lifetime guarantee. Even the cheaper falcon rods ($80) are comparable to more expensive brands.

I am a bass fisherman and I have never fished for salmon, but have fished for trout a few times. I would probably go with a falcon spinning rod and a shimano reel.

Good luck.

PS I personally don't like any rod that comes in more than 2 pieces: I prefer
1 piece rods. A big Salmon or bass will tear up most multipiece rods.

turninforhome10
01-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Just make sure that your rod selection coincides with the weight of the tackle you are going to use. I am mainly bass and walleye. I too like a one piece med action and I prefer a 6 to 6 1/2 foot rod. I also like a blank through in the handle to feel the rod especially with the light bites of the walleye. If you are going to be going after bass just make sure the rod has a good back bone for dragging the big ones from the weeds. The selection you posted does not look to bad.
I use this
http://www.tackledirect.com/fenwick-hmx-s66m-f-hmx-spinning-rod.html

What I would really like have is this
http://www.tackledirect.com/fenwick-hmx-s66m-f-hmx-spinning-rod.html

badcompany
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about rods. The one I'm getting is a 6'6" two piece. That pic is probably of a much longer rod.

What type of bait do you use for Bass?

fiveouttasix
01-07-2013, 10:54 AM
I go Bass fishing every summer Upstate NY...always have success with Mepps lures

turninforhome10
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Being from the Midwest and fishing mostly ponds and man made lakes I am mostly into Texas rigs and pitching. Spinnerbaits have their place also. My favorite type is early morning top water, there is nothing cooler than cruising a bait over calm water and having a big one erupt with a massive boil
DkOqo-yKtAE

fiveouttasix
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Very cool video turningforhome...It's got me sitting in Jersey in the Winter thinking about Summer!

badcompany
01-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Being from the Midwest and fishing mostly ponds and man made lakes I am mostly into Texas rigs and pitching. Spinnerbaits have their place also.

I'm gonna be up at Saratoga Lake (below). From people I've spoken to, your choice of bait is popular there, as well.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/5788581575_79f1834729.jpg

turninforhome10
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
And I am sitting in PA, while all my buddies are sitting on 12 inches of ice killing the walleyes and crappies back in IA. Ice fishing is by far my favorite.The fish you catch taste so good coming from that cold water.
I am really looking forward to my first spring going after the big stripers in the Delaware this spring.

badcompany
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
What type of line would you use for Bass about 5lbs? 15lb enough?

turninforhome10
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
I switched to braided about 10 years ago and never looked back.
http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-FireLine-Braid-Fishing-Line/product/10201759/
I became sold when on one fateful night will fishing for some supper with my ultralight 4.5 ft rod and using a micro lite spinning with the Fire Line 4lb test yellow, the following happened.
I threw out a night crawler with a slip bobber set about 2 ft deep right along a weed line. After about 5 mins, the line slowly goes down and then when I go set the hook (Fire Line reduce line stretch so much and especially useful for hard mouthed fish), nothing a big snag. Since I am in my boat, I turn the trolling motor and head towards the snag. I get within 5 ft of the spot and splash, a huge boil comes up and thank god I had my drag set right because this monster took off. An hour and half later including several trips back and forth around the lake as the monster was pulling me and even wrapping me around the prop once going under the boat, I landed the 35lb flathead catfish all with ultralight setup and the only reason that was possible IMHO was because of that fireline. 4lb test that compares to 20 lb for mono via diameter. I use the 1lb test for ice fishing and it is like trying to thread human hair. I am sold on Fire Line.

In a side note I caught Paul Rodgers on on the VH1 shows the other day, and while I have always been a fan of the musician, the man himself is one class act. Very smart guy and very passionate about his work ethic.

ldiatone
01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
depends on what combo you are using. i use baitcasters w/ 8-12lb test using a texas or a carolina rig. lighter on a spinner bait, heavier(12lb) on a "rat" for weed or lily pad beds. when i use a spinning reel i stay w/ 6-8lb test using gitzits or tube baits. my rod lengh is mostly 5 1/2 ft but using a crankbait i'll go to 6ft. i do like the "power baits" plastic worms etc. the "lazer eye" spinner baits worked well for me. at the lake i fish dark green-pumpkinseed-chartruse colors work. the finnesse power worms also work. ido not use any weights heavier then 3/4 oz for bullet or spinners. maybe 1oz jigs and pigs for pitching.
bass only

BlueShoe
01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
I plan on getting back into fishing this Spring and Summer
Keep saying the same thing each year but never seem to quite make it. Used to be a very active angler, but drifted away from it as I aged. Still would like to get back into it and spend less time with the horses, but alas, these days all of my fishing is done in the pari-mutuel pools, not the fish pools. :)

turninforhome10
01-07-2013, 06:42 PM
How about this fishing story
Holy snikes batman.
ZcuYjDR2tSg

badcompany
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I switched to braided about 10 years ago and never looked back.
http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-FireLine-Braid-Fishing-Line/product/10201759/
I became sold when on one fateful night will fishing for some supper with my ultralight 4.5 ft rod and using a micro lite spinning with the Fire Line 4lb test yellow, the following happened.
I threw out a night crawler with a slip bobber set about 2 ft deep right along a weed line. After about 5 mins, the line slowly goes down and then when I go set the hook (Fire Line reduce line stretch so much and especially useful for hard mouthed fish), nothing a big snag. Since I am in my boat, I turn the trolling motor and head towards the snag. I get within 5 ft of the spot and splash, a huge boil comes up and thank god I had my drag set right because this monster took off. An hour and half later including several trips back and forth around the lake as the monster was pulling me and even wrapping me around the prop once going under the boat, I landed the 35lb flathead catfish all with ultralight setup and the only reason that was possible IMHO was because of that fireline. 4lb test that compares to 20 lb for mono via diameter. I use the 1lb test for ice fishing and it is like trying to thread human hair. I am sold on Fire Line.

In a side note I caught Paul Rodgers on on the VH1 shows the other day, and while I have always been a fan of the musician, the man himself is one class act. Very smart guy and very passionate about his work ethic.

I'm sold, just ordered some from Dick's Sporting.

Good fishin' story. Haven't caught a catfish in ages, but, I remember them being strong suckers. With regard to the line, the pros that have youtube vids all seem to recommend braided, as well.

Here's a cool Paul Rodgers live clip. At age 62, still the best rock singer in the world.

4Rjz_cNPa0Y

turninforhome10
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Excellent Clip Bad Co.
I can not believe I have never heard of Joe Banamassa. After checking out some of his stuff on you tube, I now feel real stupid. Wow what a axeman. It seems he was a sort of prodigy yes?
0vuqq0HQmqI&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CYsqU_TBfKnLr55h8zpYH0

badcompany
01-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Excellent Clip Bad Co.
I can not believe I have never heard of Joe Banamassa. After checking out some of his stuff on you tube, I now feel real stupid. Wow what a axeman. It seems he was a sort of prodigy yes?
lBmLywRxxwA

Yeah, as a teenager, he was already opening for BB King. I only found out about him, a few years ago, myself.

maddog42
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
depends on what combo you are using. i use baitcasters w/ 8-12lb test using a texas or a carolina rig. lighter on a spinner bait, heavier(12lb) on a "rat" for weed or lily pad beds. when i use a spinning reel i stay w/ 6-8lb test using gitzits or tube baits. my rod lengh is mostly 5 1/2 ft but using a crankbait i'll go to 6ft. i do like the "power baits" plastic worms etc. the "lazer eye" spinner baits worked well for me. at the lake i fish dark green-pumpkinseed-chartruse colors work. the finnesse power worms also work. ido not use any weights heavier then 3/4 oz for bullet or spinners. maybe 1oz jigs and pigs for pitching.
bass only

I agree with you on all of the bait selections, even the colors. I have been a "plastic" fisherman for years: Worms, salt craws, creature baits. One that I like a lot is a ringed tube bait from Gene Larew. I forget the name. I mainly fish for trophy largemouth bass and I fish from a one-man tube even in cold weather with waders. I like clear mono if in a brushfree area, but in
brush I use spiderwire, which is a braided line. Use the premium braids. The cheaper ones will wear out quickly. I also use a baitcasting real. I will not use less than 20lb.test in the mono or less than 50 on the braided line. I use a camo mono and have even been know to take trilene Big Game and Camo it myself with magic markers. I know it seems crazy.
My fishing buddy never uses less than 80lb spiderwire.He fishes almost exclusively Jig and Pig. I used to break rods trying to bring in big bass, but I have never broken a Falcon Rod on a fish. While fishing at Lake Fork one year, a guide told me to get rid of that "little bitty line". I had 15lb test on!!
I prefer at least a 6.5 ft. medium heavy rod, but my favorite is a 7ft Heavy
action Falcon.

ldiatone
01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I agree with you on all of the bait selections, even the colors. I have been a "plastic" fisherman for years: Worms, salt craws, creature baits. One that I like a lot is a ringed tube bait from Gene Larew. I forget the name. I mainly fish for trophy largemouth bass and I fish from a one-man tube even in cold weather with waders. I like clear mono if in a brushfree area, but in
brush I use spiderwire, which is a braided line. Use the premium braids. The cheaper ones will wear out quickly. I also use a baitcasting real. I will not use less than 20lb.test in the mono or less than 50 on the braided line. I use a camo mono and have even been know to take trilene Big Game and Camo it myself with magic markers. I know it seems crazy.
My fishing buddy never uses less than 80lb spiderwire.He fishes almost exclusively Jig and Pig. I used to break rods trying to bring in big bass, but I have never broken a Falcon Rod on a fish. While fishing at Lake Fork one year, a guide told me to get rid of that "little bitty line". I had 15lb test on!!
I prefer at least a 6.5 ft. medium heavy rod, but my favorite is a 7ft Heavy
action Falcon.
do you ever "free spool" for the bass in weed beds using shinners?

maddog42
01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
do you ever "free spool" for the bass in weed beds using shinners?

I used to do that quite a bit. It works. I am too lazy to seine or too cheap to buy the shiners now.

ldiatone
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
the lakes here in the westeren pa area, one doesnt need 20lb test or braid line. i dont use it. the weeds arn't as tough as like the big O in fla. never been there but have been told at least 50 hp motor for the lake. i just use a 8hp and a troll. did you watch the Bassmaster tourny here in pittsburgh a few years ago?
those boys had a rough time of it on the rivers.

Dahoss2002
01-09-2013, 04:36 AM
I use a baitcaster for Catfish and go with 20lb. exclusively. You could use lighter for Bass. As far as braided line goes, it is great but will cut you all the way to the bone if you aint careful. With heavy braided test line, always make sure you wrap it around a stick or something before you pull it to break a snag.

badcompany
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I use a baitcaster for Catfish and go with 20lb. exclusively. You could use lighter for Bass. As far as braided line goes, it is great but will cut you all the way to the bone if you aint careful. With heavy braided test line, always make sure you wrap it around a stick or something before you pull it to break a snag.

Good tip. Never would've thought of that on my own. Thanks.:ThmbUp:

turninforhome10
01-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Here is cool little tip I learned from an old river rat while fishing for big cats on the Mississippi River. Say you are shore fishing or as we were doing fishing off a bridge. You can see that honey hole and it is to0 far to cast to. I use a catfish harness (as we call it) which is a steel leader with an egg sinker above it to allow for slide. Here is the cool part, tie off a small snap swivel about foot above your rig. While leaving the clasp open blow up a small balloon and carefully thread the end of the tied off part so it is barely attached, just enough to hold your rig while floating. Lower your line carefully into the water and let it start floating downstream. When it gets to the spot you want to fish, jerk your line hard enough to free the balloon and your rig will drop right where you want it to go. Wa la. And I agree with using a baitcaster.

maddog42
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM

I wrap it around the cork handle of my rod, or around my needle nose/dikes.
I always carry needle nose for removing hooks or cutting big braid.

maddog42
01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
the lakes here in the westeren pa area, one doesnt need 20lb test or braid line. i dont use it. the weeds arn't as tough as like the big O in fla. never been there but have been told at least 50 hp motor for the lake. i just use a 8hp and a troll. did you watch the Bassmaster tourny here in pittsburgh a few years ago?
those boys had a rough time of it on the rivers.

So many of these tourneys end up being river contests. I agree about using
lighter line if you can.So many brushy lakes here in Oklahoma, that I feel I have to go with heavier line. Have you ever read Fishing For Giant Bass? A good book but mainly California style bass fishing. That's where I picked up the Camo line technique and a slow retrieve called stitching. I used a 20 horse Merc and a 14 ft aluminum for years.

badcompany
01-21-2013, 12:38 AM
And I am sitting in PA, while all my buddies are sitting on 12 inches of ice killing the walleyes and crappies back in IA. Ice fishing is by far my favorite.The fish you catch taste so good coming from that cold water.
I am really looking forward to my first spring going after the big stripers in the Delaware this spring.

Got the Fireline. It's suprisingly thin. Made it a bit hard to get my knots tied but I eventually figured it out. The rod & reel set up is awesome. Can't wait til Spring.

As an aside, I've never been Ice Fishing. What is it you like so much, besides the taste of the fish?

I'm sure I'm missing something, but, staring at a hole while freezing your arse off doesn't strike me as a barrel of fun.;)