PDA

View Full Version : What is the most physical pain you've ever felt?

Valuist
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Have to go in for a root canal on Tuesday and I was surprised to hear a female co-worker say that dental pain is worse than childbirth. Of course, us males have no way to compare, but I had a root canal 8 years ago and I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe it was the EIGHT Novacaine shots they gave me. I know when the drill hits the nerve, its horrible and intense but very brief.

Worst pain? My choices are 3rd degree burns on the hands, getting stung (several times) by a Portugese Man o War, a tonsillectomy, one root canal, a groin muscle tear (NOT a pull) two broken fingers, a broken thumb and a bad ankle sprain.

The worst? The groin tear in a photo over the burns and the jellyfish bite. The tear actually resulted in internal bleeding. The tonsillectomy was over 40 years ago so I don't remember much about it. Root canal? It shouldn't even be on the list.

Tape Reader
01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Root canal is no big deal.

Sea sickness. Now we are talking about whether you don't care if you live or die.

johnhannibalsmith
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
:D :D

Root canal? No sweat. They are actually fun. I've had dozens (well, maybe a couple more than one dozen). Dental pain is when they actually break in pieces and as a result you end up having the root canal to try take away the pain. And then eventually they break some more so you are in the chair with the dentist using your torso as leverage as he breaks the teeth apart and tears them out chunk by chunk.

This is nearly impossible to answer I have so many choices. Once upon a time I helped a friend move a pool table into his basement and we had to remove the staircase. We used dishsoap to lube up the wall. We set a cement block at the base so we could step up on the block and then climb up to ground level. (You can guess where this is going.) Yep, jumped up lost my grip, reached for the wall, hit the soap, bellyflopped onto the cement block while trying to break my fall with my hands. That hurt. I hate doctors so it wasn't until a few days later when I tried to play hockey that I finally went to the ER and discovered the busted hands, fingers, and several ribs. Broken ribs suck and so do broken hands. Together it really sucks.

Next best - was getting ready to run a dirty rotten, no good prick of a gelding. At the barn, called to get ready, was giving him a bath and giving him a little sponging with Trainer's Choice. I knew he was a train wreck, and still let my guard down just long enough when walking around him. Fired at me and I just barely shimmied sidewise out of a direct shot and took a new aluminum plate right to the point of the hip. That hurt. I about went down and had already sent the person that was going to help me in the paddock up with the chamois and channel. My buddy at the barn was never going to get this prick of a horse to the paddock. So I had to lead him up there. Longest quarter-mile walk ever. Every step felt like my head was literally going to eject from my neck I was gritting my teeth so hard. I think I almost passed out from holding my breath each step hurt so much.

I have lots of candidates for the list. Hard to even prioritize. I can definitely state unequivocally that even with many, many injury related pains, tooth pain is arguably as tough to cope with as any of it, maybe worse. But root canals are a piece of cake. Maybe a brief bout with a sharp discomfort, but unless you are having some ungodly amount of them done and are sitting there slowly counting your way through each one, aware that you still have a bunch left to go, it's no big deal at all.

Valuist
01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Root canal is no big deal.

Sea sickness. Now we are talking about whether you don't care if you live or die.

But that's only a few days. The groin tear took three months to heal.

Robert Goren
01-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Try a block bowel sometime.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-04-2013, 10:15 PM
I would not want to go through any of those things you two have mentioned.

I have had several root canals, the only semi-disturbing one was when I has a very serious infection underneath.

The jellyfish bite I had once sure did hurt like hell.

Passing my first kidney stone was awful. Felt like an exacto knife slowly going through my lower abdomen and eventually out my urethra.

Had a problem with my jaw joints (the TMJ) that caused me headache and severe pain. For 4 months, I slept no more than 1 hour a night. Until I accidently took 4 Ibuprofen pill (800mg) instead of 2 (400 mg). I've taken 4 Ibuprofen pills every day ever since (15 years) and have been able to manage most pains (arthritis, sore hands from overuse - too much typing, etc) ever since.

Almost forgot - I had problems a couple times flying with a head cold. Very severe sinus pain on the descent to land, once lost hearing for about 4-6 hours. I now take sinus pills (psudofedrine) when I fly and I'm find. But those other times, it hurt so bad, I thought my head would explode, for like 30 min to an hour.

johnhannibalsmith
01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
...I've taken 4 Ibuprofen pills every day ever since (15 years) and have been able to manage most pains (arthritis, sore hands from overuse - too much typing, etc) ever since.

Wow. I'm totally envious - I would trade a vital organ to be able to get relief like that from OTC analgesics.

Tom
01-04-2013, 10:48 PM
I had a root canal, and that evening, the pain was excruciating.
I had to call the dentist at home and get him to prescribe some codeine.

I broke an ankle in 1973, the day after the Super Bowl, and lay in the parking lot at work for two hours, in freezing rain, until the night shift came to work - I was coming back late from dinner. That was pure hell.

In high school, I had an ingrown toenail cut out and they filled me up with a local for the procedure. My Mom gave me money for a cab home, but I felt no pain right after, so I decide to make a quick 5 and walk home.
About halfway there, the pain killer wore off and I was in agony! And this was pong before cell phones. I found no sympathy from anyone! :D

I never experienced it, but a woman I worked with told me the pain of child birth was the worst thing she ever experienced. I asked he how long she was in labor and she said only 4 hours. But the next 18 years were very painful!

cj's dad
01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Back surgery.

I've had a hip replacement and that was a walk in the park compared to having your back opened up.

johnhannibalsmith
01-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Back surgery.

I've had a hip replacement and that was a walk in the park compared to having your back opened up.

Terrifying. I'm sure it's so much better after it's over, but I don't think I could ever go through a surgery like either of those.

The only real surgery I ever had done almost didn't get done because I broke out in a full body rash about an hour after I checked in at the hospital. They thought I was allergic to whatever they had in the tubes going into me. Truth is, I was just panic stricken from being strapped into a hospital bed knowing I was getting carved up for a few hours while unconscious. I can't imagine what would happen if I knew they were not only taking bad stuff out, but then sticking new stuff in and doing patchwork... eeeeek.

horses4courses
01-04-2013, 10:58 PM
On the big toe joint.
I think a bullet through there would be less painful.

JustRalph
01-05-2013, 12:04 AM
On the big toe joint.
I think a bullet through there would be less painful.

What a thread. I've actually had several of these. Bad gout is right up there.

Had a gunshot wound that was minor, but the powder burns (fired from about six inches from my face) in the face and eyes were pretty bad. This was long before I was a cop btw. Got in a car wreck and the other guy shot me. Long story.

I think ths was the most pain ever though. I was involved in a motorcycle wreck and ended up with this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion)

If you really want to know what it's like, do a google image search.

dnlgfnk
01-05-2013, 12:24 AM
1. Arriving home at noon the first day of college (Aug. '75) to learn from the crowd in my front yard, including younger siblings, that my mother had been taken to the hospital, and learning of her sudden death when I reached the hospital. Then being the first to have to break the news to my younger sibs (15, 13, 11 and 9 yrs old).

2. Stepping on a sea urchin with one foot, and after hopping in excruciating pain, landing on another urchin with the other foot, all while honeymooning in Barbados.

jdhanover
01-05-2013, 01:26 AM
root canal was easy

As a teenager, I broke a finger in a bicycle accident. a few days later the doc says "it has not set properly. We need to re-break it and hope it sets right (if not, we'll need to put in a pin)". I figure no big deal. Then he adds, "we can't put novacaine or anything like that (it would decrease the chance the bone would set right)". I figure well, ok, it is only the pinky finger and was broken a few days ago, it shouldn't be too bad.

So the (nice-looking, well developed) nurse gets rather close to me and I'm thinking the kinds of thoughts a teenager would naturally think....then the doc breaks it.

Let me just say it is the only time in my life that my face was buried in a nice pair of breasts and I got no enjoyment at all from it. Hurt like a mother f&$^er.

newtothegame
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
I've been through my share of rough and tumble...but without a doubt there was a 7 year stretch where I was diagnosed with Chronic Cluster headcahe.
I can assure you that I have NEVER felt anything near that intense pain, which usually lasted about 45 mins. Once, at 2 am, my wife found me outside in the stoop (in my underwear no less) pounding on my head with my fist. I don't remember much of that episode except to say I didnt and still dont sleep in my underwear much anymore lol.

NJ Stinks
01-05-2013, 02:56 AM
After reading the posts above, I feel like a sissy for even mentioning it. But....

I dislocated my left shoulder about 4 or 5 times (the first time I was skiing). The pain was unbearable. Amazing how fast the pain disappeared when it was "popped" back into the socket. Anyway, I finally had surgery and a pin was inserted to keep the shoulder bone in place. A couple years later I was playing basketball and the pin was ripped out.

The pin is still floatin' somewhere in my shoulder. But no more dislocations to report in the last 25 years. :cool:

hcap
01-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Had an out patient operation on my left eye. It involved working on the retina, and removing fatty deposits that had accumulated. I was given a general anesthetic initially to knock me out until the local took effect. I woke up about 1 1/2 hours into the procedure while my ophthalmologist was fishing around in my eye. Had a very interesting conversation with him and the nurses in the OR. No pain at all.

Afterwards after being wheeled out and stitched up, I was told my ophthalmologist would be with me soon with a very powerful pain killer. Well he got delayed with another patient. Until I got the pain killer, I thought I was getting a red hot iron pole twisted around in my eye. By far the worse pain I have ever experienced including getting a few fingers mangled in a shop accident.

Actor
01-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Three of us in my high school chemistry class were doing an experiment. We were to burn 3cm of red phosphorus in a two liter jar, add water to the jar, shake the jar until the water had adsorbed all the smoke, and finally test the ph of the water with litmus paper. We couldn't find any red phosphorus so we asked the teacher what to do. The teacher (a total incompetent) told us "use white phosphorus. It's the same stuff."

Those of you who know their chemistry know where this is going. :bang:

We found the white phosphorus. Several ingots of it were under water in a large jar. Figuring the stuff was under water for a reason we decided not to just reach in an grab one of the ingots. We used a pair of tongs. We lay the ingot across the mouth of the jar and proceeded to cut a small piece off with a pocket knife. The instant the knife touched the ingot it broke into flame. It fell off the jar and onto the table.

Short chemistry lesson. Red phosphorus is the red part of a match. It's relatively safe. On the other hand white phosphorus is put into artillery shells and bombs because (1)it burns very hot and (2)it sticks to skin.

Ok. The ingot of WP lay there burning on the table, resisting our efforts with a fire extinguisher. A small piece of it broke off and was burning by itself on one end of the table. In my ignorance I tried to slap it out with my hand. It stuck to my hand, burning the skin off the index and middle fingers of my right hand. I was evacuated to the hospital where they bandaged me up. Amazingly my fingernails remained attached.

That's the most painful experience I've ever had.

We were later told that we were lucky that the ingot fell onto the table and not back into the water in the jar. If that had happened the ingot would have exploded and probably have killed all three of us.

Like I said, the teacher was totally incompetent.

Robert Fischer
01-05-2013, 11:10 AM
root canal was easy

As a teenager, I broke a finger in a bicycle accident. a few days later the doc says "it has not set properly. We need to re-break it and hope it sets right (if not, we'll need to put in a pin)". I figure no big deal. Then he adds, "we can't put novacaine or anything like that (it would decrease the chance the bone would set right)". I figure well, ok, it is only the pinky finger and was broken a few days ago, it shouldn't be too bad.

So the (nice-looking, well developed) nurse gets rather close to me and I'm thinking the kinds of thoughts a teenager would naturally think....then the doc breaks it.

Let me just say it is the only time in my life that my face was buried in a nice pair of breasts and I got no enjoyment at all from it. Hurt like a mother f&$^er.

I got the face-in-nurse-breast thing when they were threading a camera up my spine before my 2nd open heart surgery. Underrated medical technique.

BlueShoe
01-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Burns twice. Once as a child in a fireworks accident, next as an adult in an oven broiler. More recently is a problem that I have created for myself, one that keeps happening over and over again, in fact, it happened just a few hours ago, last night. This one may cause a few chuckles, because I can blame it on the racetrack, so to speak. :) When I go to the track or otb site I very often do not drink any fluids except perhaps a cup of coffee, no visits to the drinking fountain. I later pay dearly for this omission. After returning home very dehydrated and eating a large dinner, after going to bed am usually hit with a series of extremely painful leg cramps all night long, for which there is no relief or any way to ease the pain. Getting up and gulping several glasses of water helps little, it takes time to hydrate the cells. The pain is awful and can hit anyplace from the ankle to the thigh, and lasts several minutes. Go back to bed and an hour later it happens all over again. The only partial relief is to get up, bite down to keep from crying out, and try to walk it off, ignoring the pain and contractions. My own damn fault, if I would drink plenty of water it would not happen. I do not have any circulation problems in the legs, only a brain problem because I am so focused on usually several tracks at once. What we endure in order to enjoy our favorite pastime, do we not? :D

elysiantraveller
01-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I've been pinned under a bike with the exhaust grill burning into my exposed thigh. Probably the worst thing I can think of.

I haven't experienced it but have it on good authority that a burst appendix is incredibly painful.

Tape Reader
01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
What a thread. I've actually had several of these. Bad gout is right up there.

Had a gunshot wound that was minor, but the powder burns (fired from about six inches from my face) in the face and eyes were pretty bad. This was long before I was a cop btw. Got in a car wreck and the other guy shot me. Long story.

I think ths was the most pain ever though. I was involved in a motorcycle wreck and ended up with this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion)

If you really want to know what it's like, do a google image search.

They say that one cannot recall pain, so that is why I may have forgot until JustRalph brought it up.

I changed my mind, sea sickness is a piece of cake compared to gout and a motorcycle crash.

johnhannibalsmith
01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I've been pinned under a bike with the exhaust grill burning into my exposed thigh. ...

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Ahhh yes, forgot that one. Actually had just about the same thing happen to me. I was so disheveled and out of it that I barely noticed it at the time, but man alive, taking the pipe to a leg can be fairly agonizing for quite some time.

precocity
01-05-2013, 12:30 PM
rotator cuff surgery after the nerve blocker wore off :rolleyes:

gm10
01-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I've been pinned under a bike with the exhaust grill burning into my exposed thigh. Probably the worst thing I can think of.

I haven't experienced it but have it on good authority that a burst appendix is incredibly painful.

I had that .... But I would choose it over most of the things mentioned here.

Greyfox
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM
earache

elysiantraveller
01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I had that .... But I would choose it over most of the things mentioned here.

Which one? Appendix burst?

I've been told it doubles you over and locks you up its so painful.

elysiantraveller
01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
earache

I got one up in Alaska and didn't think much of it at the time. Flew on the plane home and it hurt like hell. Next day I couldn't walk the pressure was so bad. Its surreal not being able to balance yourself just standing still.

Marshall Bennett
01-05-2013, 04:12 PM
I had a plantar wart removed when I was about 10 years old. To deaden the area on my foot the doctor dug underneath the wart with a large needle for what seemed like an eternity. The pain was horrible and I screamed like I never had or ever would again. I've talked to others since who have had similar experiences with the same. Years later when I was grown another appeared. The doctor tried liquid nitrogen twice to no avail. He said he'd have to extract it and I said no way, I'd live with it. Took a few years, but it eventually disappeared as the doctor said it would if I could stand walking on it that long.

fast4522
01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
As a kid driving too fast with a motorcycle and a underpass there was a load of sand some shithead dumped. The bike slid out from under me and I went up, I have no idea why but came down chest hitting the bike. Ambulance just there by luck scooping me up and off to the hospital. I get into the ER and I am telling the doctor that I am having a heart attack, to which he says you are not. Off to x-ray and back to the doctor after some injection. Good news / bad news story from the doctor was I had bruised all my ribs as the good news, the bad news was that I would feel them for some time. Off to the drugstore to get the prescribed pain meds where the real pain began. The pills felt like I ate ground up glass, the next day it was vodka and lime for me. I have not taken anything stronger than Tylenol since.

Valuist
01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I would not want to go through any of those things you two have mentioned.

I have had several root canals, the only semi-disturbing one was when I has a very serious infection underneath.

The jellyfish bite I had once sure did hurt like hell.

Passing my first kidney stone was awful. Felt like an exacto knife slowly going through my lower abdomen and eventually out my urethra.

Had a problem with my jaw joints (the TMJ) that caused me headache and severe pain. For 4 months, I slept no more than 1 hour a night. Until I accidently took 4 Ibuprofen pill (800mg) instead of 2 (400 mg). I've taken 4 Ibuprofen pills every day ever since (15 years) and have been able to manage most pains (arthritis, sore hands from overuse - too much typing, etc) ever since.

Almost forgot - I had problems a couple times flying with a head cold. Very severe sinus pain on the descent to land, once lost hearing for about 4-6 hours. I now take sinus pills (psudofedrine) when I fly and I'm find. But those other times, it hurt so bad, I thought my head would explode, for like 30 min to an hour.

Flying with a throat or ear problem is underrated pain. I remember as a kid flying to Florida with a bad sore throat and I thought my eardrum was going to burst. Same with the TMJ because that nerve effects the entire side of the face. Is Ibuprofen easier on the liver and kidneys than acetaminophen?

johnhannibalsmith
01-05-2013, 05:13 PM
... Is Ibuprofen easier on the liver and kidneys than acetaminophen?

Yes, but brutal on the stomach if you are like me and take way too much OTC analgesics. Had to stop using it because of it. Now I'm working on destroying my liver with acetaminophen, which at any ridiculous dose doesn't seem to help much.

Rookies
01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Man oh Man... some of you guys have already gone through a few levels of hell. They'll be no wait period at the pearly gates for you- pass Go and collect 200! :lol:

For me, I've had a couple of Root Canals. One bothered me enough to get a couple of Percodans and only because I had to get the infection reduced first before the work got done.

THEY were excellent! ;)

wisconsin
01-05-2013, 11:59 PM
A few days before Christmas, in a swimming pool, I got a cramp in my calf so bad I needed help to the edge of the pool. I get cramps on occasion, but this was by far the longest lasting and most painful one ever. I tried to get out of the pool but it was so severe that I could not plant my foot on the ladder. When I finally got out, the other leg was getting a charlie horse. Awful. My calf was sore for a week. I tried to explain what it felt like and all I could come up with was getting your lower leg crushed by a steam roller.

wisconsin
01-06-2013, 12:04 AM
I had a plantar wart removed when I was about 10 years old. To deaden the area on my foot the doctor dug underneath the wart with a large needle for what seemed like an eternity. The pain was horrible and I screamed like I never had or ever would again. I've talked to others since who have had similar experiences with the same. Years later when I was grown another appeared. The doctor tried liquid nitrogen twice to no avail. He said he'd have to extract it and I said no way, I'd live with it. Took a few years, but it eventually disappeared as the doctor said it would if I could stand walking on it that long.

Oh man, that's another one. I stepped on a sharp matchbox airplane tail that the kids left lying in the dark- right one the planter. Oooooh. Had it cut out the very next day.

gm10
01-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Which one? Appendix burst?

I've been told it doubles you over and locks you up its so painful.

Yes ... I was pretty close to dying apparently!
I mainly remember feeling miserable in the 48 hours before I was taken to the ER. It mainly hurts a lot when the doctor pushes your belly while diagnosing. It was also painful after the operation, but nothing like some of the things mentioned here.

BetHorses!
01-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Back spasms and sciatica.

Steve R
01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Kidney stones

Tom
01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Listening to Zoe Cadman.

ceejay
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
EMG

http://www.webmd.com/brain/electromyogram-emg-and-nerve-conduction-studies

Steve 'StatMan'
01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Valuist, I'm hoping, like JHS mentioned, that Ibuprofen is not as hard on the liver as Acetaminophen. I'm hoping I don't have problems with my stomach, but I had stomach problems without the meds 20+ years ago. I did give up regular and most casual alcohol comsumption, so hopefully that has helped - I used to drink a lot of beer, but gave that up because I struggle with Depression and alcohol breaks down my depression meds. I do have some acid reflux symptoms, though, so I wonder sometimes about the stomach. I haven't checked with the doctor yet, it comes and goes, sometimes several years in between periods of spells. I learned not to fight the symptoms, when I can't swallow and I can barely breathe, I just go into the bathroom and heave. I'm usually a lot better right afterwards and back to normal in about 2-3 minutes. Struggling is just too awful, and when in public, quite awkward. I do, however, drink between 3 and 4 2-liters bottles of diet cola a day, so I know that doesn't help the acid problem any, and likely no help to my stomach either.

ElKabong
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
1- burned my hand in a cooking accident, had to go to the hospital (i was 23, didn't know how to cook)....that feeling of burning skin and flesh....never leaves your mind

2- the first inkling of having U/C.....best i can describe is a prolonged, intense cramp in the intestines...totally incapacitates you

3- sciatica.....i throw my back out once every few yrs....thta feeling of a nerve going "raw" and the shock like feeling going up and down is pure pain

4- tore an acl playing football.....i've torn it twice, one time i didn't feel a thing.....the other time, it felt like a knife going thru me

5-separated shoulder playing ice hockey.....sharp burst of pain, then days of pain / throbbing

Root canal? Doesn't even make my top 10

ElKabong
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
A few days before Christmas, in a swimming pool, I got a cramp in my calf so bad I needed help to the edge of the pool. I get cramps on occasion, but this was by far the longest lasting and most painful one ever. I tried to get out of the pool but it was so severe that I could not plant my foot on the ladder. When I finally got out, the other leg was getting a charlie horse. Awful. My calf was sore for a week. I tried to explain what it felt like and all I could come up with was getting your lower leg crushed by a steam roller.

Glad you mentioned that....I have leg cramps in the middle of the nite if i eat chocolate or high sugar content foods after 4pm or so...intense pain, the muscle is sore all day the next day. This has been going on for abt 10 yrs

That's pain> intense leg cramps

Grits
01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
1979--At a construction site, building for a new homeowner. Other men had gone for the day. Severed forearm and hand just below the elbow after foot slipped causing a fall into the radial arm saw. Remained conscience. Ran and collapsed in neighboring front yard, cradling bleeding severed limb hanging by 1" of tissue. Told the neighbor's son, "run, get your mom. Hurry". Told her, "Call 911. Stay with me, do what I tell you. Tie it off with my belt and put pressure on it. Don't faint, I'll bleed to death if you do". Eight surgeries in 21 days attempting to save the limb. First one was 11 hours, second was 8 hours, others were 5 to 6 hours each.

1996--On boat, a puncture with a filet knife to chest, less than 1/8" wide. Seemed like only a nick ... because it was deep it became infected after being given wrong antibiotic by local surgeon. Developed Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. Approaching sepsis, went in search of a prominent vascular surgeon. Underwent 6 hour surgery to open chest cavity, removed tissue down to lung wall, along with two ribs. Came home from hospital a week later with 8 cm deep open wound to be packed and cleaned twice daily, needing to heal from the inside, upward, forming new tissue. IV pole and three antibiotics around the clock for 6 weeks.

Both of these involved pain levels that qualify as agony--for a long period.

I was "The Good Wife" decades before the tv program, so named, was ever a thought.

sammy the sage
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
1979--At a construction site, building for a new homeowner. Other men had gone for the day. Severed forearm and hand just below the elbow after foot slipped causing a fall into the radial arm saw. Remained conscience. Ran and collapsed in neighboring front yard, cradling bleeding severed limb hanging by 1" of tissue. Told the neighbor's son, "run, get your mom. Hurry". Told her, "Call 911. Stay with me, do what I tell you. Tie it off with my belt and put pressure on it. Don't faint, I'll bleed to death if you do". Eight surgeries in 21 days attempting to save the limb. First one was 11 hours, second was 8 hours, others were 5 to 6 hours each.

1996--On boat, a puncture with a filet knife to chest, less than 1/8" wide. Seemed like only a nick ... because it was deep it became infected after being given wrong antibiotic by local surgeon. Developed Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. Approaching sepsis, went in search of a prominent vascular surgeon. Underwent 6 hour surgery to open chest cavity, removed tissue down to lung wall, along with two ribs. Came home from hospital a week later with 8 cm deep open wound to be packed and cleaned twice daily, needing to heal from the inside, upward, forming new tissue. IV pole and three antibiotics around the clock for 6 weeks.

Both of these involved pain levels that qualify as agony--for a long period.

I was "The Good Wife" decades before the tv program, so named, was ever a thought.

Wow...it has been said that women can actually handle pain better than men...after reading that I'm gonna go tip one for ya :ThmbUp:

Crowbar in foot, tree limb in head, ect...just don't seem to compare.

Tom
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Wow, GTRIS, and I whined about a toothache! Me a wuss! :blush:

nijinski
01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Pitocin injection to help my second baby along as she was almost a month early but sent me to the hospital for two nights .
Brought along dreadfully painful frequent contractions .
I never complained about it to her though , she's worth it .

Guess most here don't have to worry about that . LOL .

Grits
01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Wow, GTRIS, and I whined about a toothache! Me a wuss! :blush:

If any of you ever get terribly sick, have your doctors call me. In a crisis, or with critical illness, I do well. I come with lots of experience. I don't do message boards half as well. ;)

Valuist
01-06-2013, 10:24 PM
So, ladies who've responded, was my co-worker correct? She said teeth pain was worse than childbirth. I found that hard to believe.

dav4463
01-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Jumped off a porch at age 5 or 6 and bit a hole in my tongue.....still remember the pain....all the blood made it worse ....the doctor actually sewed it up and that needle into the tongue was painful!!! i hate this thread! :mad: i'm outta here!

nijinski
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
So, ladies who've responded, was my co-worker correct? She said teeth pain was worse than childbirth. I found that hard to believe.
Only if you have anesthesia , Epidural .
Although tooth pain is nothing to laugh about.

I think induced contractions topped the tooth . One makes you moan and yes it's bad , the other makes you scream !!!

No matter though , the pain that we have at the present time or the most recent somehow is always the worst .

Greyfox
01-07-2013, 12:30 AM
I think induced contractions topped the tooth . One makes you moan and yes it's bad , the other makes you scream !!!

There's an old saying:

"If men had to give birth, the human race would die off."
(assuming the appropriate portal for birth was present in males)

Actor
01-07-2013, 12:41 AM
When I was a kid I once had a firecracker go off in my hand. No permanent injury but it hurt like hell. I rank that second to being burned by white phosphorus.

nijinski
01-07-2013, 12:43 AM
There's an old saying:

(assuming the appropriate portal for birth was present in males)

:lol:
Yes , love you guys , but that old saying just might be true .

Actor
01-07-2013, 09:31 AM
There's an old saying:

(assuming the appropriate portal for birth was present in males)I've heard it said that the closest a man can experience to giving birth is a difficult bowel movement. Well I think I've come close.

I had abdominal surgery in 2001. They had me on all kinds of drugs and I did not have a bowel movement for weeks. When I finally did have a BM, well the phrase "Sh*t a brick" comes to mind, this in spite of all the stool softeners they gave me. I was on the can for hours as weeks of fecal buildup passed from my body with all the speed of an advancing glacier.

During the ordeal I considered telling my wife "Honey, get some rubber gloves, some petroleum jelly and a spoon and come in here."

I rate this the #3 most physical pain I've ever felt.

Richie
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
It probably doesn't compare to some of the pain here, but for sickness, hands down for me, food poisoning, after eating seafood at Red lobster. I was doubled over for 36 hrs, sweating and puking like a pig. I'll never forget it, then had to board a plan at the tali end of this.

turninforhome10
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Getting blasted by both back feet from a horse that was wearing racing plates and shattering 6 ribs. I don't know if it was adrenalin, but I got up brushed off, ran the horse in the race came back, cooled him out, cleaned his stall and then on the way home, the crimson mess that I was coughing up was my signal that this was very bad. I went from being a walk in at the ER at the hospital I was working at to a level 2 trauma after about 2 sentences. When the adrenalin wore off I could not even cough and sneezing was usually followed by changing my drawers. Broken ribs suck.

dastar
01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Obviously no pain is good.

2 Hornets got me on my right ankle, as I was hitting golf balls at a driving range.

Could not walk for close to 3 hours.

When I was a kid, I stepped on a Yellow Jacket nest and the camp nurse counted 104 stings. That didn't compare to the 2 Hornets.

Marshall Bennett
01-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Thing bad about Yellow Jackets, they're mean. Piss one off and he'll chase you for a mile. When I was a kid we tormented them. Knocked nest down, threw gas on their nest, burned them. Suppose it was the challenge that fascinated us and we got stung often. The bastards still hate me.

Zippy Chippy
01-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I was about to write gout but i remember having a toothache/ear ache
That was the worst pain ever

TJDave
01-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I was solo sailing 4 days out from Seattle when I slipped and broke my wrist. Four days out means sailing four days back one-handed. Buy the time I made port I had bitten through my tongue and fractured a tooth from constant grinding my teeth against the pain.

elysiantraveller
01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Thing bad about Yellow Jackets, they're mean. Piss one off and he'll chase you for a mile. When I was a kid we tormented them. Knocked nest down, threw gas on their nest, burned them. Suppose it was the challenge that fascinated us and we got stung often. The bastards still hate me.

Forgot about bees.

When I was about 13 or 14 my brother and I accidentally broke open a bee-hive. We didn't know it until he got stung and instantly we were in a swarm the whole half mile back to my grandparents. We both got over 10 stings and when we got home we were still finding them in our pockets, shoes, up our pants, everywhere...

It was extremely painful, that much venom causes fever and body aches, but ever since that happened though a bee sting is no worse than a mosquito bite to me. Bee's, Hornets, Wasps, it doesn't matter. A couple of years ago it took three stings from a hornet up my pant leg to even realize what was going on... I thought my pants were just pinching a bit.

I don't know how fast we ran but I'm pretty sure we were on pace for a sub 4 minute mile... :)

elysiantraveller
01-07-2013, 08:44 PM
I was solo sailing 4 days out from Seattle when I slipped and broke my wrist. Four days out means sailing four days back one-handed. Buy the time I made port I had bitten through my tongue and fractured a tooth from constant grinding my teeth against the pain.

Do you still sail? I'm looking into getting a boat.

TJDave
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Do you still sail? I'm looking into getting a boat.

Enough. I used to sail competitively and did the "sail away" thing in my late 40's. I could probably answer any question you might have.

I hope you have lots of money 'cause you're gonna need it. ;)

JustRalph
01-07-2013, 10:12 PM

Wow! Can't imagine the "oh shit" moment realizing you had 4 wonderful days ahead.......

Tom
01-07-2013, 11:29 PM
You are out in the woods hunting.
Nature calls, so you squat down behind a tree to "go," but you squat over a bear trap, and it snaps shut on your equipment.

Only one thing hurts worse than that.

When you run out of chain. :eek:

Golf and Horses
01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Thread reminded me of this piece from Brian Regan
http://youtu.be/cP4zgb9H3Cg :D

Actor
01-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Do you still sail? I'm looking into getting a boat.boat - a hole in the water, surrounded by fiberglass, in which you burn money.

turninforhome10
01-08-2013, 06:11 AM
You are out in the woods hunting.
Nature calls, so you squat down behind a tree to "go," but you squat over a bear trap, and it snaps shut on your equipment.

Only one thing hurts worse than that.

When you run out of chain. :eek:
And then realizing that there is no way to chew them off, because if you could have reached you probably would not be walking in the woods in the first place :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Fischer
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Thread reminded me of this piece from Brian Regan
http://youtu.be/cP4zgb9H3Cg :D

That's pretty funny.

BlueShoe
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Listening to Zoe Cadman.
Must not have heard Joe Biden lately. Makes Zoe sound positively poetic by comparison. :rolleyes:

Valuist
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Just got done with the root canal. Whole different procedure from the last time, when a dentist did it. This time it was an endodontist, and the whole procedure was done in an hour. With the dentist, I remember it took over two hours. Pain wasn't bad; he hit the nerve three times before the Novacaine fully took effect. We'll see how it feels when the Novacaine wears off. It appears several on here have had infections are the RC. Hopefully I won't be following in the footsteps of Tom, Rookies and the others who were "infected".

badcompany
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Back surgery.

I've never had surgery, but, throwing out your back sucks. You can't do anything, and every move you make hurts like hell.

If there's one type of exercise that everyone should do, it's lower back stretching and strengthening.

Marshall Bennett
01-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Just got done with the root canal. Whole different procedure from the last time, when a dentist did it. This time it was an endodontist, and the whole procedure was done in an hour. With the dentist, I remember it took over two hours. Pain wasn't bad; he hit the nerve three times before the Novacaine fully took effect. We'll see how it feels when the Novacaine wears off. It appears several on here have had infections are the RC. Hopefully I won't be following in the footsteps of Tom, Rookies and the others who were "infected".
I had a root canal done 3 weeks ago, was a piece of cake. Was a front tooth that had never been worked on. Once he deadened it and went to work it never hurt again. Like yours it took a little over an hour.

statepierback
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM
The worst was after an industrial accident in which the tip of my finger had been chopped off. I was lucky in that it just missed the bone structure. I went into shock and was driven to a medical center. The finger hurt but nothing like what was to come. The doctor took a very long needle and inserted it at the knuckle at the base of the finger. As the needle went up the finger I experienced the greatest pain in this lifetime so far. Ever see a grown man cry? The pain was So intense I not only cried but screamed! It was only a minute or so but I won't forget that. I missed three weeks of work and when I returned the "Limited work duty" wasn't so limited after two days. I was expected to fulfill my old duties or be replaced. My superiors didn't communicate that message directly as that was illegal but through my peers. The wound had not closed fully and many a day I clocked out with blood on the bandage of that finger. It took three months for the wound to close and six months to fully heal. I have partial feeling in that finger now a days. I saved the nail but its half the size of my other hand. The doctor cut into the wound to free some overlapping skin and used that to cover the exposed tip of that finger. Unless I point it out to someone no one has ever noticed it. However the times I do the observer usually gets freaked out.
Throwing my back out and ear infections round out the top three. :eek: