PDA

View Full Version : Any Recommendations?

coachv30
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I've been following it for a long time and it seems to be filled with a ton of educated t-bred info. My question is:

If you had to recommend a book that lays out a good process to follow when handicapping a race, what would it be? I own Steven Davidovitz's book, "Betting Thoroughbreds". I'm looking for something not so deep in theory but more in calculating and data analysis. More or less a system opposed to a an educational read if that makes sense.

VM

DeltaLover
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I've been following it for a long time and it seems to be filled with a ton of educated t-bred info. My question is:

If you had to recommend a book that lays out a good process to follow when handicapping a race, what would it be? I own Steven Davidovitz's book, "Betting Thoroughbreds". I'm looking for something not so deep in theory but more in calculating and data analysis. More or less a system opposed to a an educational read if that makes sense.

I do not find Davidovitz's book deep in theory. Quite the opposite, it is full of primitive factors who are treated using one or two related stories. It might present some value for an absolute beginner but will never get him further than a shallow understanding of the game.

What you are asking for, a winning system, is something that you will never find unless you created yourself. There is not shortcut to it and no easy substitute for hard work and dedicated effort for long periods of time.

Do not be fooled by well written offers about turning you from a beginner to a pro in limited time. This thing does not exist...

coachv30
01-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I do hear what you are saying and I totally agree that their is no canned system. I currently use a step by step process and I am just looking to add to what I use.

thaskalos
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I do hear what you are saying and I totally agree that their is no canned system. I currently use a step by step process and I am just looking to add to what I use.

Pace Makes The Race -- by Tom Hambleton and Dick Schmidt (the large, softcover edition).

shoelessjoe
01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Calibration Handicapping

Handicapping Magic

Tom
01-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Quinn's new book deals more with procedure than theory.

Robert Goren
01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Let me get this straight, you want a book that give you system that shows a profit. There ain't no such animal. There are plenty of system books out there, but none of them show profit for very long if at all.

thaskalos
01-05-2013, 05:09 AM

If by "step-by-step process" you mean something resembling the rule-based, mail-order systems of yesteryear...then I would encourage you to change your way of doing things.

A "step-by-step" method should remain flexible...and should not tie the player's hands with unrelenting rules.

HoofedInTheChest
01-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Ill make it easy for ya, bet Team Zenyatta's PAIHL picks and you should turn a pretty decent profit. ;)

Ted Craven
01-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Pace Makes The Race -- by Tom Hambleton and Dick Schmidt (the large, softcover edition).
I second this. FWIW, here is an excerpt from the 1st Edition of that book, a chapter by Howard Sartin on the Psychology of Winning (http://www.sartinmethodology.com/pubs/PsychologyOfWinningPMTR.pdf). Not about step by step analysis, but about mind-set (and you can't win without it).

After you have digested the concept behind Pace Makes the Race (TPR numbers), you could try RDSS (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99691)which implements those calculations (among other things) at a very reasonable price.

Ted

coachv30
01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks Guys... I ordered "Pace makes the Race" and the Matrix system book from the other thread on this forum.