PDA

View Full Version : AL JAZEERA AMERICA

dartman51
01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
It seems Al Gore is selling his share of Current TV to Al Jazeera. According to them, it will become Al Jazeera America. An the hits just keep on coming. :ThmbUp:

ElKabong
01-04-2013, 12:34 AM
What a surprise who he's in bed / business with

mostpost
01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Al Jazeera is a highly respected news organization. It has received numerous international news awards. More importantly it has been the target of several censorship attempts by Israel, the United States and several Arab states.
In other words, Al Jazeera pisses of everybody and that is a good thing.

Al Jazeera is an infinitely more credible news organization than FoxNews. It is also infinitely more competent.

Saratoga_Mike
01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Current TV was never a commerical success. This whole deal was crony capitalism at its best, even the NY Times realizes it (see today's front page story).

Saratoga_Mike
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Al Jazeera is a highly respected news organization. It has received numerous international news awards. More importantly it has been the target of several censorship attempts by Israel, the United States and several Arab states.
In other words, Al Jazeera pisses of everybody and that is a good thing.

Al Jazeera is an infinitely more credible news organization than FoxNews. It is also infinitely more competent.

How do you know? Seriously, have you watched it?

johnhannibalsmith
01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
How do you know? ...

MediaMatters newsletter said so.

horses4courses
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Saw their broadcast on my last trip to Europe close to a year ago.
Never had seen them before, and I was surprised at the high level of presentation. Really seemed like a BBC broadcast, and their content did not seemed biased, or anti-USA. Not that I would ever seek them for an opinion before CNN or the BBC, but they surprised me. :ThmbUp:

Tom
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I am sure they rank ahead of CNN and PMSNBC!

mostpost
01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
How do you know? Seriously, have you watched it?
I have watched it on line a few times, but I also have heard from various sources that Al Jazeera is considered a legitimate news organization which can be depended on to present news that is fair and balanced. I did not really just say fair and balanced. Change that to unbiased and thorough.

Google Al Jazeera. Read the Wikipedia page and other pages. Note the awards they have won.

I will watch Al Jazeera America more than I watched Current. On the other hand I watched "Morning Meditation" more than I watched Current.

johnhannibalsmith
01-04-2013, 06:41 PM
... Al Jazeera pisses of everybody and that is a good thing. ...

You are in luck once more as I have found something else that will interest you insofar it is a good thing and viewable. I almost couldn't believe the title of this article when I read it. Now I can't wait to watch.

Oxygen's New Show "All My Babies' Mamas" Makes Everyone Mad and it Hasn't Even Aired

"All My Babies' Mamas," a one-hour reality special slated to air in the spring of 2013, features Carlos "Shawty Lo" Walker, an Atlanta-based hip-hop artist with 11 children by 10 different women. Oh, he's also got a 19-year-old girlfriend, who's a year shy of his oldest child.

I definitely tend to agree that this is certain to be a good, perhaps even GRRRRRRREEAT thing.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/oxygens-show-babies-mamas-makes-everyone-mad-hasnt-212100389.html

elysiantraveller
01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
If people have never had a chance to watch a english Al Jazeera news broadcast I highly suggest they do. It is infinitely better than basically everything we have over here.

Highly professional, very little commentary, and just moves from story to story. Its like HLN with higher production values.

I would consider it significantly better than Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc. yet probably not as good as the BBC.

rastajenk
01-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Any irony in the King of Karbon Kredits selling out to a fossil-fuel funded corporation? Nah, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Saratoga_Mike
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
I have watched it on line a few times, but I 1) also have heard from various sources that Al Jazeera is considered a legitimate news organization which can be depended on to present news that is fair and balanced. I did not really just say fair and balanced. Change that to unbiased and thorough.

Google Al Jazeera. Read the Wikipedia page and other pages. Note the awards they have won.

2) I will watch Al Jazeera America more than I watched Current. On the other hand I watched "Morning Meditation" more than I watched Current.

1) What sources?

2) Well no one watched Current - avg viewership 40k - Al Gore sold Current for a large profit b/c of his connections, not b/c it was a profitable or viable endeavor, even the NY Times realizes this. You really need to read up on this matter Most.

Saratoga_Mike
01-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Any irony in the King of Karbon Kredits selling out to a fossil-fuel funded corporation? Nah, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Great two minute read on your point and the fact that Current was a failure in the marketplace...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323374504578221512505966072.html

“….his environmental investments have prospered thanks to government handouts and mandates. His Current TV, in the process of being sold to Al-Jazeera, attracted a minuscule audience in its seven-year existence. It averaged just 42,000 viewers per evening last year. Yet the payday coming to Mr. Gore will be somewhat greater than zero—$70 million to $100 million, depending on which estimate you prefer.

Don't look for us, however, to milk the irony of Mr. Gore, warrior against climate change, pocketing a fortune from Mideast petrocrats. Mr. Gore has been in cash-in mode for a while. What's more, his style of entrepreneurship is the rising thing in our world, so respect must be paid.”

OntheRail
01-05-2013, 03:09 PM

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090203201130/southpark/images/d/d3/AlGoreSP.jpg
Well now... Yes I took their filthy oil money... and in doing so they can not use THAT money to invest in more filthy oil. Thereby doing my part in saving the Planet... Ok.

horses4courses
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Hit US airwaves at 3pm ET today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/business/media/al-jazeera-makes-its-american-debut.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

cj's dad
08-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Hit US airwaves at 3pm ET today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/21/business/media/al-jazeera-makes-its-american-debut.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0

Yes, I saw an ad on Direct TV. It will be on channel 358 (?) I believe. Lovely.

horses4courses
08-21-2013, 12:40 AM
Yes, I saw an ad on Direct TV. It will be on channel 358 (?) I believe. Lovely.

Dish doesn't have it. Not my package, at least.
Give it a look, though - I think you will be surprised.
It wasn't what I expected at all when I saw it in Europe.
Their coverage in Egypt should be good.

iceknight
08-21-2013, 02:38 AM
AJAM has maintained that its light load of ads is a deliberate strategy to air more news.The channel is owned by the oil-rich government of Qatar, which is believed to be more interested in prestige than profits from its new channel.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/20/al-jazeera-america-launches/2679407/

Tom
08-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Let's have them host the presidential debates.

DJofSD
08-21-2013, 09:59 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-20/at-t-sued-over-refusal-to-carry-al-jazeera-cable-network.html

AT&T Inc. (T), the largest U.S. phone company, was sued by Al Jazeera over its refusal to to carry the Qatar-based broadcaster’s new U.S. cable-news channel as part of its pay-television service.

The Al Jazeera organization also owns BEIN sports.

Ocala Mike
08-21-2013, 03:00 PM
My DirecTV feed changed from Current, which I never watched, to AJ yesterday without warning or fanfare.

I watched it, and was pleasantly surprised. I detected absolutely no political bias in their coverage. Suggest anyone sick of the polarizing cable news programs out there, either side of the spectrum, at least give it a looksee.