PDA

View Full Version : FF can't open PDF

Tom
12-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Can't open or download PDF file with FF anymore.
Seems like with every update, FF gets more and more useless.
Their Help forums is the pits.

Anyone been able to get this program to do browser basics?

michiken
12-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Go into tools/options/applications and look for 'pdf'.

Choose the app to open it automatically or you can select 'save to disk'

If all else fails, right click on the link and choose 'save as'.

Happy New Year and drink alot of beer.

turninforhome10
12-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Tom, I switched to Foxit Reader many moons ago and have never looked back.
It is a very versatile reader allowing many more options that any other I have found.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Tom
12-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I have Foxit and want to use it, but I do not see anywhere to select it.
When I save as, I get nothing -a blank file.
I have Acrobat selected to open, as I have always had, but it just stopped working suddenly.

turninforhome10
12-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe this will help
http://vimeo.com/49338015

Canarsie
01-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Can't open or download PDF file with FF anymore.
Seems like with every update, FF gets more and more useless.
Their Help forums is the pits.

Anyone been able to get this program to do browser basics?

Download this extension and you won't have a problem till a later version of FF kills it for a week or so. Right click and you will see the extension use it just before you head to the PDF file. I have it on Chrome and it never lets me down.

http://www.ietab.net/

REMEMBER right before you hit the link for the PDF file if you do it too early the same results you are getting now will repeat.

DJofSD
01-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Tom,

I have FF 17.0.1 and under Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins, I have Adobe Acrobat 10.1.4.38. This combination seems to work just fine for me.

Also check what you have under Tools -> Options and the applications tab for the various Adobe files you might encounter while surfing. Mine are all set to using the Adobe Reader (default).

tupper
01-01-2013, 02:18 PM
I have Foxit and want to use it, but I do not see anywhere to select it.Do you see a "Use Other" option in your "Applications/Action" buttons?

When I save as, I get nothing -a blank file.Does this happen when you right-click on the the file link on the web page or when you choose "Save File" in your "Applications/Action" button?

I have Acrobat selected to open, as I have always had, but it just stopped working suddenly.Perhaps some background Adobe update has borked your version of Acrobat.

johnhannibalsmith
01-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Perhaps some background Adobe update has borked your version of Acrobat.

I don't want to divert the theme of Tom's thread, but what the hell is the deal with Adobe?

Do they really have two updates a week that I need to install? It seems like every time I turn on a computer the last few months Adobe, especially Flash, needs to update to a new version.

I refuse to allow it to do automatic updates and I'm beginning to think that they just figure if they release something every other day to jerks like me eventually we'll hit "install" before we remember to change the default from "auto update" to "ask before installing".

I hate auto updates and used to have even Windows set so that they couldn't dictate to me, but even their updates seem to now be done without any input from me. It's my damn computer, if I want to ruin it by being obstinant, that's my prerogative! Stop commandeering my property! :mad: :D

Red Knave
01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Do they really have two updates a week that I need to install? It seems like every time I turn on a computer the last few months Adobe, especially Flash, needs to update to a new version.
It keeps telling you that because you have told it to Ask Before Installing. Tell it to stop bothering you. :)

It's my damn computer, if I want to ruin it by being obstinant, that's my prerogative! Stop commandeering my property! :mad: :D
I know you mean obstinate but I won't mention that
... oh, wait ...

As much as I admire your spirit and obstinacy the automatic update thing is not an Imperial plot.

johnhannibalsmith
01-01-2013, 09:04 PM
It keeps telling you that because you have told it to Ask Before Installing. Tell it to stop bothering you. :)

I know you mean obstinate but I won't mention that
... oh, wait ...

As much as I admire your spirit and obstinacy the automatic update thing is not an Imperial plot.

Laf... I know why it keeps bothering me if I actually don't update it, but generally I do update it. I just like being asked before I agree to it. :lol:

The problem is that, at least it seems to this hypersensitive turd, within days it has dreamed up a new update immediately... I swear, it is simply a ploy to get me to install with the default "auto-update" feature!!!!!! :lol:

Surely somebody here agrees COMPLETELY that it is a conspiracy against the obstetricians.

DJofSD
01-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I just like being asked before I agree to it.

Are we talking about software or s*x?

johnhannibalsmith
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM
... or s*x?

I can't even afford the freeware.